Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Reason #4: I've Been Blessed By A Bishop

[No video for this since I'm suddenly uncertain whether it's a legitimate argument]

I've been baptized at an age when I was able to testify for myself that I believe in God the Father, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ who died for our sins and rose from the dead, and in the Holy Spirit--but, were I to become Archbishop of Canterbury, the Anglican church might also require me to be confirmed by the laying on of hands of a bishop.

Now I was going to argue that I have received such a blessing, since at a service several years ago a bishop did come along to the parish church in Wye where I happened to be that Sunday morning, and did lay hands upon me to pray a prayer of blessing.

But having read the information on Anglican confirmation, I'm not actually sure that that would be sufficient.

On the other hand, the 39 Articles make quite clear that Anglicans should not consider confirmation to be a sacrament. And so perhaps one could argue that there is an inconsistency in requiring that anyone desiring the noble task of being a bishop (1 Timothy 3:1) be confirmed.

Or maybe I should just seek to actually be confirmed. So if you're an Anglican bishop and are passing Harpenden, please get in touch!

And for the rest of you--

Go in peace, to love and serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment